Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A wonderful dish for a special breakfast or brunch. Prep time does not include the time that strawberry syrup stands.
- 4 large day-old plain croissants
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Sweetened Whip Cream
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Fresh Strawberry Syrup
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange liqueur or 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- For French toast:.
- Slice croissants in half lengthwise.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, and vanilla. Pour into a shallow dish. Dip croissant halves into egg mixture; coating well.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 halves and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining butter and croissant halves. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; top with sweetened whip cream and fresh strawberry syrup.
- For sweetened whip cream:.
- Beat cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- For fresh strawberry syrup:.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and let stand 30 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until warm.