Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Perfect lunch or light dinner. I love chicken salad and this is my version. It is easily halved or doubled.
- 6 -8 plain croissants
- 3 cups cubed poached cooked chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups grapes, sliced in half
- 4 -5 diced spring onions
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 8 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 3⁄4-1 cup mayonnaise or 3⁄4-1 cup Miracle Whip
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped cashews (or sliced almonds if you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- lettuce leaf, to dress the sandwiches
- havarti cheese, to dress the sandwiches
- Mix mayo, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and basil together till well incorporated.
- Fold in chicken, grapes, cashews,celery,and onions.
- Halve the croissants (you may wish to slightly toast them) and layer with salad, lettuce, and cheese if you wish.
- Serve immediately.
- Time to prepare does not include chicken's cook time.
My family LOVED this recipe! I served for a large family party and everyone couldn't stop talking about how delicious it was. Everyone that has tried it has been clamoring for the recipe.
The only slight change I would make would be to refrigerate the salad for a few hours (even overnight) to allow the flavors to blend together more. I think it tasted much better after it was chilled.
I will definitely be making this often!! Thank you so much for sharing!!
Loved this recipe!
I made it vegan and brought it to a (omnivore attended) beach bonfire. It was the hit of the night! A wonderful summertime meal.
* Use reduced fat Vegenaise instead of mayo
* Use Soy Curls in place of chicken (rehydrate soy curls in 1 cup veggie broth, 1 cup water, 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke. Squeeze soy curls free of liquid. Heat olive oil in fry pan and saute rehydrated soy curls with salt/fresh pepper until lightly brown. Allow to cool before adding to recipe.)
* Use sourdough instead of croissant
I thought this was pretty good overall, but too much mayo for me. I would have liked it much better with only 1/2 cup.