Recipe by annconnolly
A great twist on bread pudding.Serve the pudding either hot or cold with fresh cream or ice cream.
Top Review by Tiny kitchen, big chef
Loved this. Flavors were spot on! Super easy and delicious without the water bath hassle. Didn't have to sieve it so that was even easier! I prefer a more custardy bread pudding so I am going to try it with fewer croissants next time. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 16 small croissants
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven.
- Set the temperature of the oven at 320ºF
- Tear up the croissants.
- Roughly tear the croissants into pieces, put them in a bowl and add the raisins.
- Make the custard.
- Start with the vanilla bean. Make an incision down the center, scrape the pulp out onto the bean and put it in a saucepan.
- Next add the cream and milk and heat over a medium temperature. When the custard starts to boil, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Put the eggs and egg yolks in a bowl, add the sugar and begin whisking. Mix in a little hot milk, pour it all back into the saucepan and mix thoroughly.
- Using a sieve, strain the custard over the croissants and raisins. Make sure they are entirely submerged in the custard. Leave the croissants to soak like this for 15 minutes.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a buttered baking tin and spread it out to ensure that the raisins are evenly distributed.
- Place the tin in the center of the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- To check that the pudding is done, insert a knife into the center. If when removing it is slightly wet then the pudding is ready as the centre should remain moist. Remove it from the oven and leave to cool down.