Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
A German spice cookie that my grandma used to make that makes me feel all warm and cozy. I called her for the recipe and she kept saying it's from Martha Croeni, which is a relative that I've never met, but I like her cookies. The recipe calls for the cookies to be rolled in powdered sugar, but Grandma always glazed them because she thought the powdered sugar too messy. Grandma rarely wrote full instructions for recipes, just the ingredients, so the instructions are guesses on my part. Also, the recipe calls for 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of each spice, but I like it spicy, so I go with the 1/2 tsp. (sometimes even a little more).
- Cream the brown sugar and butter together until fluffy. Add the eggs and molasses and beat until combined.
- In separate bowl, mix the baking soda, flour salt, and spices. Beat into sugar and egg mixture.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1/2 hour to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll dough into small balls and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar or glaze.