Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a very easy and economical recipe. You don't want to add too many herbs or spices, as it will change the taste of the recipe that you are using it in.
- Start with a gallon-size bag of vegetable peelings (potatoes; any kind of onion - yellow, white, green shallots etc,; zucchini,and carrots). As you have them, add them to a freezer bag and put them into the freezer, adding more until the bag is bulging.
- When ready to make, put the frozen vegetables into a large slow cooker/crockpot. I have a large oval crockpot. Add remaining ingredients, filling the water to the top of the crockpot.
- Cover and put the crokpot on high and cook around 8 hours.
- Turn off heat and let cool.
- Strain the vegetables, pressing out as much of the juice from the vegetables as possible.
- Either use or freeze for another time.
- Sometimes you see vegetable broths with lots of seasonings in them, but that can ruin the recipe that you are adding the broth to, so I make a very lightly seasoned broth.
- A chicken broth can be made by putting a whole chicken (or pieces) into a crockpot. If you want to add a few pieces of celery and/or carrots to the chicken you can, but that is optional.