Recipe by Andtototoo!
This is a very easy and economical recipe. You don't want to add too many herbs or spices, as it will change the taste of the recipe that you are using it in.
Directions See How It's Made
- Start with a gallon-size bag of vegetable peelings (potatoes; any kind of onion - yellow, white, green shallots etc,; zucchini,and carrots). As you have them, add them to a freezer bag and put them into the freezer, adding more until the bag is bulging.
- When ready to make, put the frozen vegetables into a large slow cooker/crockpot. I have a large oval crockpot. Add remaining ingredients, filling the water to the top of the crockpot.
- Cover and put the crokpot on high and cook around 8 hours.
- Turn off heat and let cool.
- Strain the vegetables, pressing out as much of the juice from the vegetables as possible.
- Either use or freeze for another time.
- Sometimes you see vegetable broths with lots of seasonings in them, but that can ruin the recipe that you are adding the broth to, so I make a very lightly seasoned broth.
- A chicken broth can be made by putting a whole chicken (or pieces) into a crockpot. If you want to add a few pieces of celery and/or carrots to the chicken you can, but that is optional.