Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Recipe is from the cooking blog Recipe Shoebox.
Make and share this Crockpot Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 4 cups chicken broth (I used 4 cups of water chicken bouillon cubes)
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups half-and-half, warmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large crockpot, combine tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, bay leaf, oregano, and basil.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
- About an hour before serving prepare a roux: Melt butter and whisk in flour until smooth.
- Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup from the slow cooker. Add another 3 cups soup and stir until smooth.
- Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add Parmesan cheese, warmed half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for another hour until ready to serve. Serve with fresh hot bread.
Made this soup tonight, but didnt have celery and is still came out ok. I also added extra broth and a bag of lentils. Made this soup more of a meal. Turned out Awesome. I also paired with a "no knead" artisan bread. Made it even better.
This turned out so yummy! I substituted the half-and-half with one cup of skim milk. My husband, who's not a big fan of tomato soup, loved this! We paired it with delicious Havarti and Colby Jack grilled cheese sandwiches, and dinner was complete. Thanks for a great recipe!
I saw this on Pinterest and made it! Love it!! Next time I will cut down on the heavy cream and maybe just use milk. I used a stick blender and blended it almost smooth. Also, I used fresh basil and oregano both at the beginning and right before serving.