9 hrs 15 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This is a simple version of the classic Irish dish. Although it’s slow-cooked, the hearty beef stew requires minimal prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, more for rolling
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Guinness stout (or other stout)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 large russet potatoes, washed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed overnight in the refrigerator
- 1In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper. Toss the beef in the flour mixture to coat. Transfer the mixture (including excess flour) to a 6-quart crockpot and then add the carrots, onion, garlic, and thyme.
- 2Slowly pour in the Guinness and then stir in the beef broth. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Add the potatoes and continue cooking until the meat and the potatoes are fork-tender, about 1 1/2-2 hours more.
- 3Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry sheet into a 10x14 inch rectangle.
- 4Put it on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden-brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly on a rack, and cut into quarters.
- 5Lay the puff pastry quarters in 4 wide, shallow bowls and spoon the stew over the pastry.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crockpot Steak and Stout Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1644 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1306.1
- Calories from Fat 339
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 638.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 63.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: