Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a super easy shredded chicken recipe that makes tasty, tender chicken. Use it for tacos, casseroles, chicken salad, sandwiches, etc.! The recipe can be increased if you are looking to feed more than one person, unlike myself. I haven't tried freezing it yet, but I imagine it would freeze nicely for future meals. And, the leftover liquid and bones can be used to make a nice broth.
- Pour water and chicken broth into 5.5 quart crockpot.
- Mix in salt, pepper, and garlic powder (you can also directly season the chicken thighs with this mixture, but the lazy way works just fine!).
- Place chicken thighs in the crockpot in a single layer, fattier side down.
- Toss in halved shallots (or quartered onion), whole garlic cloves, and bay leaves.
- Cook on low for 7-10 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with a fork.
- For broth: add bones from the shredded chicken, 1-2 cups water, salt and pepper to taste, and carrots or celery (if desired). Continue to cook on low for 4-6 hours.