Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe is from A Year of Slow Cooking (crockpot365.blogspot.com). It's a favorite in our house. In a pinch I have even made this on the stove. My family loves it.
- 1 lb chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed (you could also use dried beans)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, to stir in at the end
- garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, avocado slices, cilantro, sour cream
- In a 4 quart or larger crockpot, combine all ingredients except sour cream.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Stir in 1/2 cup sour cream.
- To thicken, you could using and immersible blender to blend some of the soup.
- Garnish and serve.
This was good. I loved the broth. However the chicken tasted really dry (I was actually trying to avoid it while eating) and there seemed to be something missing. It is an amazing start though. Maybe if the chicken was cooked separately and then added at the end it might have been better?