Recipe by LifeIsGood
I took chef momaphet's posted recipe for Poulet Roti (Roast Chicken) - Poulet Rôti (Roast Chicken), and changed it slightly so it could be cooked usiing a crockpot. This is such an easy recipe to prepare and tastes similar to a rotisserie chicken. The chicken is moist and flavorful. Feel free to change amounts or types of herbs to your liking! This would be great with mashed potatoes and gravy. If your whole chicken has a neck and giblets, you can reserve them in your refrigerator until about an hour before dinner time and make a gravy with them. Just put them in a small pot, cover with water and a little onion and carrots and a little herbs, bring to a boil and then simmer for about an hour, strain this and use for your gravy (however you normally make gravy) for extra flavor. Enjoy!
Top Review by Baby Kato
Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe LIG. It was quick and easy to make. All you need do is put it into the crockpot and it takes care of itself. The chicken was tender and flavorful. What a lovely smell when you walked into the kitchen. Made for CQ2 - Family Picks.
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Put the onions in the bottom of your crockpot.
- Mix together the herbs and spices, rubbing them together with your fingers to blend.
- Gently lift the skin from either side of the breast and using your fingers, push a bit of the herb mix under each side.
- Turn the chicken over and make a small slit behind each thigh and push some of the herb mix under the thigh skin.
- Sprinkle the rest of the herb mixture over the top of the chicken and if you have any left sprinkle it inside the chicken.
- Put your chicken into the crockpot, on top of the onions, breast side up. No liquid is needed, the chicken will make it's own juices!
- Cook in the crockpot on the low setting for 4-6 hours. My crockpot cooked the chicken in about 5 hours. I'd recommend a pop-up timer in the chicken because some crock pots cook faster/slower than others.