Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Delicious and nutritious! Found this on Pinterest, edited for my preferences. Quinoa makes it hearty and filling. The chicken was soooo tender, it just fell apart! I never used kale before but couldn't really taste it in this- I don't like cooked spinach in soup but I did like the kale! Could be topped with shredded parmesan cheese. Also, I like to freeze some of the leftovers in serving size ziploc bags.
- 226.79 g chicken breasts, raw
- 236.59 ml onions or 1 medium onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml celery or 2 stalk celery, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 177.44 ml quinoa, soaked
- 2365.9 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 425.24 g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 946.36 ml packed kale, chopped (thick ribs discarded)
- 1.23 ml dried thyme
- 1.23 ml poultry seasoning (optional)
- 2.46 ml smoked paprika
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- Place chicken in a 6 or 7 quart crockpot; add onion, celery, and garlic.
- Add drained quinoa and pour in chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3-4 hours, or LOW 7-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred; return to soup.
- Add in beans, kale, seasonings, and lemon juice; taste and adjust seasonings to preference; cover and cook on high for 30 minutes more, until kale is tender.
This was a different sort of soup than what I am used to, but it was quite tasty. I had to play around with the flavors a little bit. I did not have the poultry season but think it would have benefited from that and did not have the smoked paprika but replaced it with chipotle chili pepper. The lemon juice definitely gives it a tangy flavor, I'm not sure how I liked that. I may not add that next time.