Recipe by J-Lynn
Delicious and nutritious! Found this on Pinterest, edited for my preferences. Quinoa makes it hearty and filling. The chicken was soooo tender, it just fell apart! I never used kale before but couldn't really taste it in this- I don't like cooked spinach in soup but I did like the kale! Could be topped with shredded parmesan cheese. Also, I like to freeze some of the leftovers in serving size ziploc bags.
Top Review by Chef AngieW
This was a different sort of soup than what I am used to, but it was quite tasty. I had to play around with the flavors a little bit. I did not have the poultry season but think it would have benefited from that and did not have the smoked paprika but replaced it with chipotle chili pepper. The lemon juice definitely gives it a tangy flavor, I'm not sure how I liked that. I may not add that next time.
- 8 ounces chicken breasts, raw
- 1 cup onions or 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery or 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa, soaked
- 10 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups packed kale, chopped (thick ribs discarded)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in a 6 or 7 quart crockpot; add onion, celery, and garlic.
- Add drained quinoa and pour in chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3-4 hours, or LOW 7-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred; return to soup.
- Add in beans, kale, seasonings, and lemon juice; taste and adjust seasonings to preference; cover and cook on high for 30 minutes more, until kale is tender.