Recipe by Heatherincanyon
A low-effort, high flavor family favorite. I've also made this without the BBQ sauce and it's just as delicious!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs pork roast
- 1 (1 ounce) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 cup wine (red or white, your preference, I use whatever is on hand)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 5 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups barbecue sauce
- water to cover whole roast
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and slice potatoes
- Place carrots and potatoes into bottom of large crockpot.
- Heat pan over high heat with EVOO.
- Add roast and brown all sides.
- remove and place on top of veggies.
- add Onion soup mix and stir into browned bits from roast just untill starts to brown.
- add wine and loosen browned bits.
- stir in brown sugar, honey, and sesame seed oil.
- cook until all ingredients start to meld and wine begins to reduce.
- Add cold water to pan and pour over roast (adding more water to cover roast if needed).
- During last couple hours add BBQ sauce and rotate roast to coat.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes before pulling meat apart with 2 forks.
- Serve with your choice of buns or rolls and veggies on the side.
- (A "sweet gravy" can be made for the veggies by reserving some of the liquid as a stock and making as you would with any other regular gray.).