Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Chocolate and cinnamon put unique twist on an old standard
- 3 -5 lbs beef roast (tri-tip, cross-rib, anything will work)
- 4 -5 carrots, with greens, greens and carrots, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 -5 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 -2 lb potato
- 2 -4 canned chipotle peppers, depending on taste
- 6 ounces V8 vegetable juice (or something tomato based)
- 1⁄3 cup red wine (cheap stuff!)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup beef stock or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- salt and pepper
- 1. Place 1/2 of the onions in the bottom of a large crock pot. Place meat on the onions. Put the rest of the onions in along with the carrots, greens, celery, Chipotles, V8 juice, Red Wine, Chicken Stock, Worcestershire Sauce, cinnamon, cocoa and salt and pepper. There is no need to mix the ingredients.
- 2. Cook on high for 7 hours.
- 3. Remove lid, lower heat and allow boiling to stop. Skim the liquified fat off the surface and discard. Break apart the meat with a spoon and stir. Chop the potatoes into about 1 inch pieces and stir inches.
- 4. Replace lid and cook another 1 1/2 - 2 hours before serving.