Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Slow cooked pork shanks with sauerkraut.
- 2 lbs pork shanks
- 14 ounces sauerkraut, not drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 ounces applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- Place onion in crockpot; place pork on top.
- Combine sauerkraut, apple sauce and caraway seed and put on top of pork.
- . Cover; cook on low heat for 8 hours.
Tastes good. At the end, you may want to season to taste; I find seasoning is diminished by the slow cooking process. I didn't have apple sauce, and I didn't want to buy a whole jar just to get a few table spoons, so I grated an apple into the sauerkraut. Worked fine. My shanks had the skins still on, so I slit them before cooking. It made slipping the bones free a breeze, and getting to the meat a lot easier.