4 hrs 10 mins
Delicious recipe adapted (made easier and more suited to laziness) from one I found on Mothering.com. Really great flavors. Original poster suggests browning the chicken, onions in a pan, and then toasting the spices but I opted to skip all of that and just throw everything in the pot. Works marvelously :) Note: if you're using frozen carrots, wait until the last 30 or 45 minutes of cooking time to add them. Serving suggestions: Serve with couscous or rice and a green veggie (like a side of peas or make a salad).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 lb carrot (peeled & chopped or use baby carrots or frozen)
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 1/2 ounces pitted prunes or 4 1/2 ounces dates, chopped
- 4 1/2 ounces dried apricots, chopped
- 4 1/2 ounces raisins (optional)
- 1Place onion slices and carrots (only if raw) in crockpot. Put chicken breasts on top. Add spices. Cover with chopped prunes and apricots. Pour over broth.
- 2Cook on low for 4-6 hrs, but as crockpots can vary, check for doneness and cook until chicken is cooked to your satisfaction. At this point, the dried fruit should be very soft, chicken should be done, and broth will not be thick.
- 3If using frozen carrots, add during last 30-45 minutes of cook time.
- 4DON'T SKIP THIS STEP (it doesn't take that long, and really makes the sauce)! Pour off the broth into a pan, add honey, and reduce over med or med-high heat so the sauce thickens slightly, like the consistency of warm maple syrup (or to your liking, really). Add some of this reduced sauce back into crock pot to coat chicken and serve the rest (like gravy!) for any sauce-fiends you may have.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crockpot Moroccan Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (393 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.9
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 71.1 mg
- Sodium 250.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 41.0 g
- Protein 31.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: