Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I made this last night and both my husband and I think that this has been the best home-made carnitas so far.we wrapped it in flour tortillas together w/ lime cilantro brown rice,black beans,salsa cruda,diced avocado,cheese,sour cream and tapatio hot sauce.we loved it!
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder blade roast
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
home-made taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- trim the visible fat from the pork.
- place 1 can tomatoes on the bottom of the crockpot,follow w/ pork,garlic and onion,sprinkle the taco seasoning evenly on the top,then cover w/ cilantro.(note:this can be done the night before,just leave it in the fridge,the flavor will blend!).
- cook on high for the 1st 3 hrs and on low for another 5 hours.
- remove the pork and shred it,return to the crockpot,mix w/ juice.
Tasty, n oh so easy! Will make again...I added some smoked BBQ sauce n loads of fresh jalapeno at the end.
Great recipe! "It was good. I liked the spices," says 8-year-old Joel.
We made wraps with this several nights and also ate it with potatoes one night. It's a very versatile entree. I followed the recipe as exactly as I could -- used dried rather than fresh cilantro and ground red pepper rather than flakes. Our chili powder is McCormick's Hot Mexican Chili, which adds quite a yummy kick. And I used our slow cooker rather than a crock pot.
We'll be making this recipe again. Thanks for sharing it.
ALSO! Love the home-made taco seasoning! I've been wanting to get taco seasoning without all the MSG in the pre-packaged powders. This is super. Thanks!
Awesome,tasted very good,will cook again,family loved it.