Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Genuine Food truck fare - from the most excellent food blog, "My Life as a Mrs" - http://www.mylifeasamrs.com/2011/09/crockpot-korean-beef-tacos.html
For the Cucumber Slaw
- 2 cucumbers (seeds removed)
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
For the Korean Beef
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean beef (ribs or other shreddable beef)
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium soy sauce
- 1 2⁄3 cups brown sugar, packed
- 10 garlic cloves, grated
- 4 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or other mild vegetable oil)
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili paste (optional)
For the tacos
- 16 small flour tortillas
- bean sprouts
- sriracha sauce (for the brave)
- For Cucumber Slaw:.
- Slice cucumbers thin as possible and put in a bowl. Add the vinegar, sugar, salt, and crushed red pepper; toss to combine. Set aside until ready to use. (The longer the better).
- For the Korean Beef:.
- Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray and add the beef. In a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients and pour over the meat. Cook on low heat for approx 8 hours stirring once or twice. Take meat out of crockpot and shred, and put back into the sauce.
- For the tacos:.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave, add shredded beef, cucumber slaw, bean sprouts, and cilanto. If you are feeling brave, top with sriracha.