Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I threw this together after being inspired by several other recipes on here.
- 1 cup lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ounce dried mushroom (by weight)
- 1 -2 tablespoon curry powder (as per your taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed (optional)
- Combine everything except the tomatoes, dairy, and spinach in the crockpot. Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, remove the bay leaves, add the tomatoes and pulse with an immersion blender to grind up about half the lentils. Stir in the half-and-half, and the spinach if using. Cook another 30 minutes. Serve hot with rice or couscous.
It was very easy to put together and forget about it for the rest of the day!. I love crockpot recipes. It had too much Cinnamon for my taste. I cut down the cinnamon to 1/2 and add a little salt.
It turned out to be very wholesome, extremely nutrious and tasty!
Very good. I'll definitely be making it again.