Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe takes a while but makes the creamiest grits that you can't stop eating.
- 3 cups regular grits (not the quick variety)
- 12 cups water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 6 teaspoons salt
- Soften the butter.
- Combine all ingredients except the shredded cheese.
- Cook on low in the crock pot for 6-8 hours stirring occasionally.
- About 15 - 30 minutes before serving stir in shredded cheese. Enjoy!
I made this recipe, last weekend, for our school league's state volleyball tournament hospitality - where the coaches, referees and support staff eat during the busy day. They were WONDERFUL...I even had people who said they didn't "like grits" tell me they were delicious. I used yellow, stone ground grits and my one and only variation was to add cooked bacon to the grits when I stirred in the cheese.
Best grits I've tasted and easy to make. I did add one large clove of minced garlic and stirred it in the mixture prior to cooking. The grits may be a little dry at the end of the cooking cycle. If so, just add some milk or cream. My daughter, who is not a big fan of Southern cooking, had seconds. Great recipe.
Made this for a family reunion alongside fried fish and a few other dishes and it was a hit! I did set my crock pot to high though to get a thicker consistency. Will definitely make it again.