Recipe by Serah B.
Easy tempeh recipe. You could also use seitan strips, like the ones in this recipe from Vegan Dad: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/05/noodles-and-beef-seitan-in-black-bean.html
- 2 (8 ounce) packages tempeh
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 16 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (3 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, vegan variety
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients, EXCEPT cornstarch and water, together in crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and stir into crockpot to thicken sauce into a glaze. (You may find that you need a little more or a little less cornstarch to achieve the desired thickness).
- Cover and cook another 20 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Serve over rice.