Recipe by PanNan
This is an adapted recipe prepared for the Crockpot Forum challenge of ZWT 8. The original recipe is Braised Red Cabbage (Choux Rouges Braises) Braised Red Cabbage (Choux Rouges Braisés) by Bayhill. In addition to adapting the recipe for the crockpot, I added an apple and a bay leaf, used lemon juice instead of vinegar, and added 1 1/2 cups chicken stock.
- 1 medium red cabbage, halved and cored
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred the cabbage and slice the onion.
- Heat the butter in a large saute pan and saute the onions until soft. Add the sugar and continue to cook the onions until they are nicely brown and carmelized.
- Place the cabbage and chopped apple in a crockpot. Add the carmelized onion, fresh lemon juice, red wine, chicken broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 4 - 5 hours until the cabbage is tender.