Prep 25 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Oxtails are a most flavorful cut of meat but one that is not frequently served. Try them in this recipe and you will become a fan of oxtails!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 5 lbs oxtails
- 6 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 4 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon saffron, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Brown oxtails on all sides. Remove oxtails to a plate and add carrots and onions to the skillet; cook 10 minutes until soft. Add paprika, salt, saffron and pepper; stir well.
- Place 1/4 of vegetables in a 4-quart crockpot. Add oxtails in a single layer. Repeat layers and continue until vegetables and oxtails are all used up. Add any juices left in the plate plus the 1/4 cup water.
- Cover and cook on LO heat for 8-9 hours.