Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
delicious beef in a rich mushroom gravy. Comfort food that you can put in the crock pot and forget. Great over egg noodles or rice.
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 12 ounces diet Sprite
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 medium onion, chopped in chunks
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- empty can of sprite, can of soup and soup packet into crockpot. Add onion and beef. Stir together, and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Stir contents, add frehs mushrooms and cook on high 1 hr longer. Sometimes I add a little crushed red pepper for some spice. Enjoy.
- note: For convenience you can use canned mushrooms, they can go in at the beginning. Just cook about 7-8 hrs on low instead.
Very easy! Looking at the recipe, I was looking for a result much like a roast I make with onion soup and half a cup of pepsi. The sauce for this turned out very runny, and very oniony. I'd reduce the amount of sprite and eliminate the onions all together next time. I think the onion soup mix was enough onion flavor. I thickened it with some cornstarch slurry, as previous reviewers did. I used fresh mushrooms, and served over noodles. I have quite a bit of leftovers, but think I can re-purpose this and make a stew by adding some veggies.
The use of Sprite Zero & the ease of crockpot cooking caught my eye. I am so glad I tried this recipe!! The beef is tender & the gravy divine! I was curious as to what flavor the soda would add. It just adds a zingy freshness. I thickened the juices with a cornstarch slurry the last 15 minutes and served with rice. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Made for Fall 2011 Pick A Chef. yu were adopted! :-)
Easy and Tasty dinner for us. We all liked this. Made for PAC Fall 2011.