Recipe by fairyprincess_ky
delicious beef in a rich mushroom gravy. Comfort food that you can put in the crock pot and forget. Great over egg noodles or rice.
Top Review by breezermom
Very easy! Looking at the recipe, I was looking for a result much like a roast I make with onion soup and half a cup of pepsi. The sauce for this turned out very runny, and very oniony. I'd reduce the amount of sprite and eliminate the onions all together next time. I think the onion soup mix was enough onion flavor. I thickened it with some cornstarch slurry, as previous reviewers did. I used fresh mushrooms, and served over noodles. I have quite a bit of leftovers, but think I can re-purpose this and make a stew by adding some veggies.
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 12 ounces diet Sprite
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 medium onion, chopped in chunks
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- empty can of sprite, can of soup and soup packet into crockpot. Add onion and beef. Stir together, and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Stir contents, add frehs mushrooms and cook on high 1 hr longer. Sometimes I add a little crushed red pepper for some spice. Enjoy.
- note: For convenience you can use canned mushrooms, they can go in at the beginning. Just cook about 7-8 hrs on low instead.