Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Adapted from fellow Herbaceous Curvaceous Honey DreamerinOntario's recipe of the same name for ZWT8. She's right, spend money on a burgundy you would gladly drink for this recipe. I added a spoonful of beef base to bump up the flavor and included even more fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper after cooking time to prevent pepper from turning bitter and dish from being too salty.
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced thin
- 8 ounces portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 cups Burgundy wine
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 2 sprigs celery leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh lemon juice (to garnish)
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Line the bottom of a crockpot with onion and mushroom slices.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add oil.
- Add beef to skillet, taking care not to crown the pan. Brown on all sides, in batched if necessary. Remove beef to crockpot, layering over onion.
- Add flour to skillet and brown, stirring regularly, until mixture is light brown. Add garlic slices, wine and beef soup base. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Pour wine mixture over beef in crock. If needed, add water to crock until beef is covered and crock is at least half full.
- Tie herb mixture together with twine or make a bouquet garni with cheesecloth. Add to crock, tucking into liquid.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice. Taste broth and correct seasonings to taste.
- Serve in shallow bowls, over noodles or mashed potatoes if desired. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.