Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
We like our refried beans with a little zest to them..Makes a nice side dish with your favorite mexican dishes. I use homemade salsa #9272 for this recipe, just because I love this salsa and everything tastes good when I use it...But, your favorite store bought would work just as well.
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 large onion, cut in quarters
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, uncooked, cut up into chunks
- 2⁄3 cup salsa
- Rinse clean pinto beans.
- Boil beans with enough water to cover for 10 minutes.
- Drain and place all but salsa in crock pot.
- Cook high for 6 hours.
- Drain beans and place in food processor.
- Process to mash.
- Place back into crock pot.
- Add salsa, mix.
- Cook low 1-2 hours.
- Leftovers can be frozen for future meals or used in dishes that ask for spicy beans.
- You can alter the cooking time, if you want them cooking while at work by cooking on low for 8 hours and high for 2 hours.