- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat & cut into serving-size pieces
- 3 medium baking potatoes, unpeeled & cut into quarters (about 1 pound)
- 2 large carrots, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 large parsnip, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Season roast with salt and pepper.
- Combine vegetables and seasonings in crock pot.
- Place beef over vegetables, and pour broth over beef.
- Cover; cook on LOW until meat is fork-tender (8 1/2-9 hours).
- Remove beef to serving platter, and arrange vegetables around beef.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- To make gravy, ladle the juices into a 2 cup measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Skim off and discard fat.
- Measure remaining juices and heat to a boil in small saucepan.
- For each cup of juice, mix 2 tablespoons of flour with 1/4 cup of cold water until smooth.
- Stir mixture into boiling juices, stirring constantly until thickened (about 1 minute).