5 hrs 30 mins
Bone Man's Note:
This is a super easy way to prepare freshly-killed wood ducks. The recipe will also work for teal but if you are cooking Mallards or Black Ducks, I recommend that you cook only one bird instead of two since the latter are much larger. Also, do not use this recipe for diving ducks such as Scaup. This has been my old stand-by wild duck recipe for many years. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Check the ducks thoroughly for shot -- remove any shot with tweezers.
- 2Place the cleaned ducks neck-up in a crock pot.
- 3In a separate mixing bowl, blend the butter, soup, chicken stock, seasoned salt and wine.
- 4Pour the soup blend into the crockpot, over the ducks and add in the carrots.
- 5Cook on the HIGH setting for one hour and then reduce to the LOW setting for 5 more hours. Halfway through the cooking time, flip the ducks upside down. Check for tenderness at the end of the 5 hours and cook for another hour if necessary.
- 6Serve with rice.
- 7A TIP: If you have trouble removing the feathers after scalding the duck, then make up a blend of half parafin and half beeswax and pour a little over the duck -- let it harden for a minute and then pull the feathers off.
Browse Our Top Whole Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Wood Duck
Serving Size: 1 (591 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 789.3
- Calories from Fat 476
- Total Fat 52.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 246.1 mg
- Sodium 1200.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 51.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: