Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a super easy way to prepare freshly-killed wood ducks. The recipe will also work for teal but if you are cooking Mallards or Black Ducks, I recommend that you cook only one bird instead of two since the latter are much larger. Also, do not use this recipe for diving ducks such as Scaup. This has been my old stand-by wild duck recipe for many years. Enjoy!
- Check the ducks thoroughly for shot -- remove any shot with tweezers.
- Place the cleaned ducks neck-up in a crock pot.
- In a separate mixing bowl, blend the butter, soup, chicken stock, seasoned salt and wine.
- Pour the soup blend into the crockpot, over the ducks and add in the carrots.
- Cook on the HIGH setting for one hour and then reduce to the LOW setting for 5 more hours. Halfway through the cooking time, flip the ducks upside down. Check for tenderness at the end of the 5 hours and cook for another hour if necessary.
- Serve with rice.
- A TIP: If you have trouble removing the feathers after scalding the duck, then make up a blend of half parafin and half beeswax and pour a little over the duck -- let it harden for a minute and then pull the feathers off.