Recipe by NotQuiteVegetarian
This recipe is adapted from "The Slow Cooker Cookbook". You can also make a non-vegetarian version of this dish by adding some fried chopped bacon or pancetta to the pot with the vegetables.
Top Review by Spiritualized
This was OK, but not great. I loved the idea though, but in practice this chunky soup has a fairly sour taste (probably thanks to the turnip & swede), but nothing to tone the sourness down (cream for example). Great use of winter vegetables, but not exactly fabulous. Edit : Had seconds after re-heating it, and added bacon. The recipe improved ten-fold.
- 400 ml dry cider
- 250 ml vegetable stock, boiling (or chicken stock if you prefer)
- 3 leeks, cut into 2 cm slices
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 cm chunks
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 2 cm chunks
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 2 cm chunks
- 1 swede, peeled and cut into 2 cm chunks
- 300 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 cm chunks
- 3 bay leaves