Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A great way to introduce your family to different squashes. You can use butternut, hubbard, kabocha, or acorn...to name a few.
- 1 lb chicken sausage, in 3/4 inch slices
- 2 1⁄2 cups winter squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach or 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine (or more broth)
- Cube the squash, potatoes and fennel all about the same size.
- Brown and drain the sausage.
- Put all the vegetables, (except spinach) beans and seasonings into a 5--6 quart crock pot. Top with the sausage. Pour liquids over all.
- Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
- Stir in spinach and cook another 5 minutes, covered.