Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
My husband recently discovered this flavor rich, thick, beef stew recipe, and was amazed at how easy it was for him to make. We decided it was definitely a repeat recipe, and wanted to post it here for future reference.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1-inch pieces (we used lean beef round)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 8 ounces assorted wild mushrooms, cut into quarters (regular button mushrooms work too)
- 1 cup baby carrots (cut in half)
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Place beef in a 5 qt crock pot. Sprinkle with the flour mixture, and toss to coat.
- In the same small bowl used to mix the flour (now empty), combine the beef broth, tomato paste, wine and garlic. Mix well and add it to the beef in the crock pot.
- Add the potatoes, mushrooms and carrots to the crock pot and mix well to disperse the ingredients evenly throughout.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 5 - 6 hours, or LOW for 8 - 9 hours, until vegetables and beef are tender.
- DO NOT LIFT LID AND STIR DURING COOKING TIME.
- When ready to serve, stir well, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Awesome! Because of this dinner, I have declared myself "the beef stew master"! I used 1/3 c. flour and a 14 oz can of low-sodium beef broth. I also added a 14 oz. can of stewed tomatoes (drained), and I mixed 5 tsp. (about 1 1/2 Tablespoons) of dry onion flakes in with the flour. I used crimini mushrooms, and they were a nice addition. The veggies were perfect and the meat was flavorful and tender and not dry at all after 8 1/2 hours on low. I made Recipe #20616 to serve with this, and it was the best comfort supper I've had in a long time. Thanks so much for posting this recipe!!
Awesome recipe. Very easy to make and simply delicious. Will definately be making this several times. Couldn't stop eating
I made this a few days ago for my husband and he absolutely loved it! I forgot the mushrooms but it still turned out delicious. I listened to a few reviewers and added more broth and half a packet of Lipton's onion seasoning. I'll add a whole packet next time though. Also, I ended up having to thicken it in the end with a little cornstarch because of the excess liquid I added in the beginning. I love onions and chopped one up and added it to the mixture. This was my first time making a beef stew so I wasn't sure what to expect and was a little scared about the cooking process and even mixed it twice even though the directions said not to. It came out great and I can't wait to make it again soon!