Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
If you don't have sun-dried tomatoes in your cupboard add a cup of finely chopped seeded fresh tomatoes for a slightly different flavor
- 1 lb dried great northern beans, sorted and rinsed (2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- Mix all ingredients except tomatoes and olives in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting 4 to 5 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and olives.
I didn't have dried basil so I used rosemary instead and used cannellini beans rather than whatever great northern beans are. While it smelled good there is too much water in this recipe. Now I had soaked the beans first for anti-flatulence reasons so that may be why. The toddler opinion?She picked out all the olives and sundried tomato.
not much flavor...I didnt even it eat in the end...Sorry! I think that it can definitely be spice up a lot, but I have to think about this one! The concept and flavor blend has SUCH potential!
This was delicious. I made it the day before and the excess water soaked in before we ate it. Adding the sun-dried tomatoes and olives right before serving punched up the flavor, but the kids portions were tasty without. We also added some pesto. I will definitely make this again.