Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is very easy and tasty. Also it's vegetarian.
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -3 lb butternut squash, peeled seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup canned vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems trimmed and leaves cut crosswise into 2 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
- 5 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (white kidney beans)
- 1 cup kalamata olive, pitted and halved
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- freshly grated romano cheese (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except the cheese in the crock pot. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours.
- Transfer to large shallow serving bowl and sprinkle generously with grated cheese, if desired.
This recipe didn't work out very well for us for a couple of reasons. There are too many ingredients to fit in my crockpot so I eliminated one can of beans (I probably should have cut out two more cans or used less vegetables to make everything fit in a bit better), there is not enough liquid to make it stew/soup-like and I also think this needs a bit more spice to give the vegetables a bit more of a kick. Sorry I know people don't like low ratings, but I really can't rate this any higher -- my dh said that this was the worst meal I've made in a decade.
ellie_,<br/><br/>I'm having the same problems you are. Too many ingredients.<br/><br/>I didn't put any beans, and there's too many ingredients to fit in my 6 quart crock pot. I even needed to put 5 14.5 oz cans of broth to have enough liquid, and I still think it's a little less, but don't think I can put any more liquid in the crockpot.<br/><br/>There were so many ingredients, that I couldn't even mix in the spices properly.<br/><br/>I just started the crockpot a few minutes ago, and set it for 8 hours. But I don't have high hopes for it.<br/><br/>I've also never made a recipe that needed 3 onions before. And after using 3 for this, I don't think it needs 3. I just wanted to follow the recipe, so I used 3, but it's too much.
I love this stew. Every Fall when the weather turns, I dig it out and make it. The crockpot is a new twist to me, however. The recipe as it is given here is very heavy. I use 1 onion, 1 red pepper, 1 squash, 1/2 bunch kale, 28oz cannellini with their juices and 32oz box of vegetable stock, 3 Tbs sage and 1/4 C olives. It is intended to be STEW, not soup, so you will find it quite thick, but the flavor is heavenly. Start with making a sofrito of the onions, garlic and 1/4 C olive oil and add the sage just before adding the other ingredients. You won't be disappointed!!!