Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is very easy and tasty. Also it's vegetarian.
Make and share this Crock Pot White Beans, Butternut Squash, Kale, and Olive Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -3 lb butternut squash, peeled seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup canned vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems trimmed and leaves cut crosswise into 2 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
- 5 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (white kidney beans)
- 1 cup kalamata olive, pitted and halved
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- freshly grated romano cheese (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except the cheese in the crock pot. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours.
- Transfer to large shallow serving bowl and sprinkle generously with grated cheese, if desired.
This recipe didn't work out very well for us for a couple of reasons. There are too many ingredients to fit in my crockpot so I eliminated one can of beans (I probably should have cut out two more cans or used less vegetables to make everything fit in a bit better), there is not enough liquid to make it stew/soup-like and I also think this needs a bit more spice to give the vegetables a bit more of a kick. Sorry I know people don't like low ratings, but I really can't rate this any higher -- my dh said that this was the worst meal I've made in a decade.
ellie_,<br/><br/>I'm having the same problems you are. Too many ingredients.<br/><br/>I didn't put any beans, and there's too many ingredients to fit in my 6 quart crock pot. I even needed to put 5 14.5 oz cans of broth to have enough liquid, and I still think it's a little less, but don't think I can put any more liquid in the crockpot.<br/><br/>There were so many ingredients, that I couldn't even mix in the spices properly.<br/><br/>I just started the crockpot a few minutes ago, and set it for 8 hours. But I don't have high hopes for it.<br/><br/>I've also never made a recipe that needed 3 onions before. And after using 3 for this, I don't think it needs 3. I just wanted to follow the recipe, so I used 3, but it's too much.
I love this stew. Every Fall when the weather turns, I dig it out and make it. The crockpot is a new twist to me, however. The recipe as it is given here is very heavy. I use 1 onion, 1 red pepper, 1 squash, 1/2 bunch kale, 28oz cannellini with their juices and 32oz box of vegetable stock, 3 Tbs sage and 1/4 C olives. It is intended to be STEW, not soup, so you will find it quite thick, but the flavor is heavenly. Start with making a sofrito of the onions, garlic and 1/4 C olive oil and add the sage just before adding the other ingredients. You won't be disappointed!!!