Merry Cook's Note:
This is a hearty & inexpensive recipe that is just delicious and best of all you can throw it in the old crock pot and leave it alone all day. Even a self proclaimed bean hater LOVED these beans so I hope you enjoy them too :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried great northern beans
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves, chopped
- 1/2 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups of chopped fresh kale
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cajun seasoning salt (I use Tony Carcher's)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 -16 ounces cajun style andouille sausages, cut into bite-size pieces (or any firm, smoked sausage)
- 1Sort beans and soak overnight in enough pure, fresh, water to cover the beans - Or - use the quick method: sort the beans then put them in a saucepan with enough water to cover, and bring them to a boil. Boil the beans for 3 minutes, then cover and remove from heat. Allow to sit for one hour after boiling (don't lift the lid).
- 2After using either pre-soak method, be sure to rinse and drain the beans completely of their soaking liquid before putting them in the crock pot.
- 3Put a couple table spoons of olive oil in the bottom of the crock pot then throw in the beans and all the other ingredients (including the 6 cups of fresh water.).
- 4NOTE: the water used in cooking the beans in the crockpot is NOT the same water used for soaking the beans. The water used to soak the beans should be discarded because it may add bitterness.
- 5Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours, or until beans are tender and creamy.
- 6Prep time is long only because of the soaking & slow cooking. The ingredients come together very quickly - no more than about 10 minutes of actual prep.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock-Pot White Beans
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.7
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 19.5 mg
- Sodium 438.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 17.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: