Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Use navy or great northern beans in this comfy soup. Perfect for those chilly fall evenings. From the book "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker".
- 2 cups dried navy beans, picked over, soaked in water to cover overnight and drained
- 2 -3 slices bacon, cooked until the fat is rendered but not crispy
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 1 small carrot, minced
- 1 bouquet garni (1/2 tsp. dried oregano, 3 sprigs parsley, 1/2 fresh sage leaf and 1 bay leaf wrapped in cheesecloth)
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Combine the beans, bacon, onion, celery, carrot, bouquet garni and broth in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours.
- Remove the bouquet garni.
- Puree about one-third of the soup in a food processor.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cream if using, cover and continue to cook on LOW 15 minutes longer.
Made this soup and it was real good. The only thing I changed was I added more bacon.
This is a good soup I used a ham bone an chicken broth it was great
This made a nice, quick dinner served with Recipe #275055 and green onions. I used about 4 cups of chicken broth and omitted the heavy cream. I did top off each serving with some pepper sauce for a little kick.