1/1 Photo of Crock Pot Venison Stew With Bacon and Mushrooms
8 hrs 20 mins
mary winecoff's Note:
I read some of the recipes off of the recipe forum about unusual meats. Now I have a cookbook from Alaska that will tell you how to cook just about anything but this is a recipe that someone might actually use! I serve this with white or brown rice or buttered egg noodles. It comes from "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs venison stew meat, trimmed of fat, tenderized by pounding and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices smoky bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, cut in half and sliced into half moons
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dry red wine or 2/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms (sliced or quartered)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1Season the venison with salt and pepper.
- 2In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp; transfer to paper towels and crumble.
- 3Add the oil to the bacon drippings and brown the meat in batches on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
- 4Transfer to the slow cooker as you finish each batch.
- 5Add the onion, carrots and garlic to the skillet and cook. stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes.
- 6Sprinkle with the flour, stir and transfer to the cooker.
- 7Add the wine to the skillet, bring to a boil and cook, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the pan, until the wine has thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 8Pour into cooker.
- 9Add the bay leaf, thyme and broth; stir to evenly distribute.
- 10Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
- 11Add the mushrooms and crumbled bacon and stir to combine.
- 12Cover and continue to cook on LOW until the venison is tender enough to cut with a fork, another 3 hours.
- 13Remove the bay leaf and stir in the vinegar.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Venison Stew With Bacon and Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.9
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 29.0 mg
- Sodium 227.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 36.0 g