Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was recently given some ground venison by a hunter in the family...so, I had to figure out how to cook with it. I'm a big soup fan and I think this one turned out well. This makes a big batch of soup! I like to freeze some of it to have later.
- 1 (2 ounce) packet dry onion soup mix
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 lb ground venison
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (canola or grapeseed)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup red lentil (optional)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 small red potatoes, diced
- 1 cup cabbage leaf, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup macaroni noodles (uncooked)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large crock pot, mix 6 cups water with the dry onion soup packet and cream of mushroom soup.
- Brown the ground venison in a skillet with the oil until no longer pink. Reserve pan juices. Add the browned meat to the crock pot. Saute the diced onion in the reserved pan juice until slightly translucent, add minced garlic and cook just to aroma then transfer everything to the crock pot.
- Next, add all the vegetables, tomato sauce, lentils, bay leaves and bouillon to the pot. Cook on high until potatoes and lentils are tender (6 or 8 hours).
- Seasoning: add the soy sauce and crushed red pepper flakes. Add salt and pepper to taste. I also like to add some bottled hot sauce, seasoning salt blend (Greek, Spike or whatever you like)and/or dried herbs (sage, celery seed, etc.).
- Add the uncooked macaroni noodles and cook 30-45 minutes. Adjust seasoning as necessary and serve.