Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
Tender and tasty! We had a lot of venison, were cleaning out the freezer, and decided to do something easy. This is the first time I have ever cooked in a crock pot! When I ate "crock pot meals" in the 60's they all tasted the same. This is quite good, so decided to post the recipe, so we can make it again. I used to add 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, and a small can of tomato paste, but decided, over time, I really liked it better without those 2 ingredients. Tonight, I adapted the recipe for stove top using my enameled cast-iron cookware... first browning the meat, vegetables, then adding the rest of the ingredients.
- 1 cup carrot (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup celery rib (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup potato (about 4 medium, cut into rounds 1/2-inch thick)
- 2 onions (cut into wedges)
- 6 garlic cloves (slightly mashed)
- 3 lbs venison (roast, cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (2 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon basil (dried and crushed)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (dried and crushed)
- 1 (10 ounce) can soup (cream of mushroom)
- 1 cup Burgundy wine (more, or less to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water (or more Burgundy)
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer ingredients in crock pot in order listed above.
- Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours, or on high 5-6 hours.
- I used to add 1/2 cup brown sugar, and a small can of tomato paste, but decided, over time, I really liked it better without those 2 ingredients.
- Serve with crusty bread and a robust red wine.