Recipe by CgyVegan
This is an easy lasagna to make. It smells wonderful while cooking and tastes great. I adapted this recipe from a combination of others and came up with this vegetarian version. You can make this vegan easily by adding more of your favorite vegetables and using soy cheeses. Even the non vegetarians I made this for had seconds.
Top Review by Mrs Majors
I have made this a dozen times and never the same way twice. Sometimes I have fresh spinach; other times I use frozen chopped(thawed in microwave and well drained). My husband loathes mushrooms so I ... um... chop them up finely. Shhhh. Once I even substituted BOCA for the mushrooms. I have even put in finely shredded carrots when I needed to use them up. I have also used jar sauce a few times when I had to throw it together and leave. This works great. Just pick up at step 4 and you're done in 5 minutes. I have a large oval crockpot but have never used a full 2 boxes of noodles. I don't really double the noodles; they just overlap a bit. (And still my crockpot will be full to the top!) I have, however, used more than the called for cheese because we like a bubbly, browned (yep, it browns in the crockpot?!), cheesy top on our lasagna. I like this recipe so much that I doubt seriously I'll go back to cooking dry lasagna in the oven! Thanks for posting it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, Crushed
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (680 ml) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (750 g) container ricotta cheese
- 4 cups fresh spinach, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 2 (375 g) boxes no-boil lasagna noodles, oven ready, uncooked
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil and add onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat until tender, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, oregano, salt and pepper to taste and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomato paste and stir mixing thoroughly. Add tomato sauce, stir and cook sauce stirring occasionally for another 6-8 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove sauce from heat and set aside.
- In crock pot, cover bottom with enough sauce to just cover. Add two layers of lasagna noodles, breaking them where needed.
- Spread noodles with one tub of the ricotta cheese and salt and pepper. Add two layers of lasagna noodles.
- Cover noodles with half of the sauce, sprinkle with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese. Add two layers of lasagna noodles.
- Spread noodles with 1/2 tub of the ricotta cheese. Shake excess water from spinach leaves and cover cheese with spinach and salt and pepper. Add two layers of lasagna noodles.
- Cover noodles with remaining sauce and cover sauce with remaining mozzarella and parmesan or asiago cheese.
- Put lid on crock pot and turn on high. Leave to cook for 5 hours. When done, let lasagna sit for 8 minutes to set before cutting.