Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Delicious and healthy. Sauteeing the vegetables first really helps enhance the flavor. Don't skip this step!
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 2 celery ribs (chopped)
- 15 ounces black beans (drained)
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1⁄4 head cabbage (chopped)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 small russet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- Heat 1 T. of oil in a skillet and add onion. Cook until tender (about 8 min.) then add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add remaining vegetables and seasoning to the skillet except tomatoes and black beans. Drizzle 1 T. of oil.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables, tomatoes, beans and broth into the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Very good low cal soup with ingredients that are usually staples. I skipped the garlic powder and used garlic salt in place of the garlic powder and salt, but otherwise followed the recipe as written. Thanks for sharing!