Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I haven't tried this yet, but it's hard to go wrong with Leanne- and this looks scrumptious, along with the variations! This is a Menu Mailer recipe, taken from a FlyLady Digest.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (pressed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 2 small celery ribs (chopped)
- 1 medium turnip (chopped)
- 2 cups green beans (cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1⁄4 head cabbage (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- 2 small russet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- In a large soup pot, heat the one tablespoon of the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and cook till nearly translucent.
- Now add the garlic. Don't let the garlic brown and saute another couple of minutes.
- Add the rest of the chopped veggies, sauteing for just a minute or two; the extra tablespoon of olive oil is if you need it for the rest of the veggies. Remember--you're not cooking them-- just sauteing them for the wonderful flavor this quick step will infuse in your soup.
- Add the thyme and salt and pepper while sauteing.
- Now put the veggies in the crock pot, add the tomatoes and broth.
- Cook on low 7-9 hours (depending on your crock pot) or high 4-6 hours.
- Just before serving, gently mash some of the potato chunks against the side of the crock pot to thicken the soup, give it a stir and serve.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Grilled cheese sandwiches on whole grain bread and a spinach salad.
- Quick Fixes for Variations on the Basic Veggie Soup: Now remember, don't do these to the whole pot of soup! Just the little bit you pull out to fix yourself for lunch, etc. so that you can do all the Quick Fixes.
- Quick Fix #1: Tex Mex Veggie Soup. Add some (eyeball it--how much do you want?) canned black beans (drained and rinsed), a little bit of cumin and chopped cilantro. Top with some tortilla chips and cheese, or serve with a quesadilla.
- Quick Fix #2: Tuscan Veggie Soup. Add some (eyeball it again) canned cannellini (white kidney beans) or white beans (drained and rinse), a little bit of Italian seasoning and some chopped kale. Cook till heated through and the kale is tender.
- Quick Fix #3: Minestrone Veggie Soup. Add some cooked pasta, a little dried basil and top with a fresh grating of Parmesan cheese.
- Quick Fix #4: Autumn Veggie Soup. Add some diced acorn squash or butternut squash, a handful of cooked brown rice, a sprinkling of nutmeg and some chopped parsley.
I made this soup yesterday, followed the instructions exactly. I had to throw the whole thing out. It was disgusting. What a waste of money. I would not recommend this soup. It didn't even look like the picture that's shown above the recipe and part of that is because of all the tomatoes and juice that's added.
Tastes like a wet sock.
This is excellent - tastes great. I usually find that my cooking tastes amateur but this is a good recipe, I would serve this to company any day, with total confidence. The only deviation from the recipe that I did was to add 2 extra cups of broth and 1 extra cup of tomatoes because i wanted more liquid. I used my slow cooker on high for 4.5 hours and it came out perfect. This is a keeper. I'm making my own little family cookbook of favorite recipes to give to my son so he'll always be able to reproduce his favorite food from when he was growing up. How many of us remember favorite foods that our mom's made years ago that we never bothered to ask the recipe and wish we had? So I'm going to put my favorite ones and give it to my son as a present. I bought a nice notebook and i'll handwrite the recipes and put a few personal notes that I'm sure he'll cherish long after I'm gone. This soup recipe is going in it. Thanks Jenna.