1/2 Photos of Crock Pot Vegetable Soup
4 hrs 30 mins
jenna sais quoi's Note:
I haven't tried this yet, but it's hard to go wrong with Leanne- and this looks scrumptious, along with the variations! This is a Menu Mailer recipe, taken from a FlyLady Digest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (pressed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 2 small celery ribs (chopped)
- 1 medium turnip (chopped)
- 2 cups green beans (cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/4 head cabbage (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- 2 small russet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1In a large soup pot, heat the one tablespoon of the olive oil over medium high heat.
- 2Add the onion and cook till nearly translucent.
- 3Now add the garlic. Don't let the garlic brown and saute another couple of minutes.
- 4Add the rest of the chopped veggies, sauteing for just a minute or two; the extra tablespoon of olive oil is if you need it for the rest of the veggies. Remember--you're not cooking them-- just sauteing them for the wonderful flavor this quick step will infuse in your soup.
- 5Add the thyme and salt and pepper while sauteing.
- 6Now put the veggies in the crock pot, add the tomatoes and broth.
- 7Cook on low 7-9 hours (depending on your crock pot) or high 4-6 hours.
- 8Just before serving, gently mash some of the potato chunks against the side of the crock pot to thicken the soup, give it a stir and serve.
- 9SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Grilled cheese sandwiches on whole grain bread and a spinach salad.
- 10Quick Fixes for Variations on the Basic Veggie Soup: Now remember, don't do these to the whole pot of soup! Just the little bit you pull out to fix yourself for lunch, etc. so that you can do all the Quick Fixes.
- 11Quick Fix #1: Tex Mex Veggie Soup. Add some (eyeball it--how much do you want?) canned black beans (drained and rinsed), a little bit of cumin and chopped cilantro. Top with some tortilla chips and cheese, or serve with a quesadilla.
- 12Quick Fix #2: Tuscan Veggie Soup. Add some (eyeball it again) canned cannellini (white kidney beans) or white beans (drained and rinse), a little bit of Italian seasoning and some chopped kale. Cook till heated through and the kale is tender.
- 13Quick Fix #3: Minestrone Veggie Soup. Add some cooked pasta, a little dried basil and top with a fresh grating of Parmesan cheese.
- 14Quick Fix #4: Autumn Veggie Soup. Add some diced acorn squash or butternut squash, a handful of cooked brown rice, a sprinkling of nutmeg and some chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.7
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 400.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 4.5 g