Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is an easy recipe from Better Homes & Gardens that my husband and I enjoy with a nice crusty bread. It is very low in calories and is great for dieters, or those with restricted diets.
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces tomato sauce (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup barley
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart electric crockery cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 11 hours, or cook on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours.
This soup is so yummy even though it's low-calorie. I used pearl barley and frozen broccoli. I cooked it at high because I began it too late in the morning. This soup is thick but it tastes great. Thanks Maureen :) Made for PAC spring 2013
I found this recipe several years ago and I make it constantly!! I really like it and I have made for friends that have raved about it!
I kind of feel bad only giving this 4 stars but like many, I like to reserve 5 stars for recipes with "wow"! This is a wonderful, basic, crock pot veggie barley soup. You can add or subtract veggies. I confess I cook it over night and put it in the lunch for work that day in the morning. But everyone needs a basic recipe just like this. Give it a try!