Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook4 hrs 30 mins
A hearty soup that's great on a cool day. This soup is quick and easy to prepare and has great flavor.
- 4 (4 ounce) mild Italian sausage, about 1 pound
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 salt and pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese, grated or romano cheese, grated, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown Italian sausages on all sides; slice sausages 1/2-inch thick rounds.
- Use non-stick cooking spray or a little vegetable oil if using turkey Italian sausage.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Add to skillet the celery, zucchini and onion.
- Saute 2 minutes longer, stirring.
- In crockpot, combine beef broth, tomato sauce, and basil.
- Add sausage and vegetable mixture; cover and cook on LOW for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve this hearty soup with garlic bread or crusty Italian bread.