- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 lbs ground turkey (not ground turkey breast, too dry!)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄3 cup mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 large dried New Mexico chile, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon hot red chili pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tbs. oil in skillet. Saute onions and garlic until soft, and slightly browned. Put into crock pot.
- Heat remaining oil and brown ground turkey (I use ground dark meat, not as dry as breast meat when cooked). Put meat into crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to crock pot and stir together.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- Serve in large bowls, with cornbread on side.
- Optional toppings at table: Diced red or sweet yellow onion. Shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese. Sour cream.