Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
No pretense to regional authenticity, but it's the way we like it! You can add more "heat" by increasing the pepper flakes. Goes good with Barb's "Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread". Substitute canned black beans for a change of taste, or use 1 can each of kidney and black beans.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 lbs ground turkey (not ground turkey breast, too dry!)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄3 cup mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 large dried New Mexico chile, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon hot red chili pepper flakes
- Heat 1 tbs. oil in skillet. Saute onions and garlic until soft, and slightly browned. Put into crock pot.
- Heat remaining oil and brown ground turkey (I use ground dark meat, not as dry as breast meat when cooked). Put meat into crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to crock pot and stir together.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- Serve in large bowls, with cornbread on side.
- Optional toppings at table: Diced red or sweet yellow onion. Shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese. Sour cream.
Very good crockpot chili. I added two jalapeños to mine!
Really quite good. I didn't have enough turkey so I did sub some chicken thighs. I love the taste of the New Mexico chili so I put in one large and one smallish size peppers. Thanks for posting
I realize that when the title is "Turkey Chili", one shouldn't try it with other meats... but we have ground venison and pork, so it morphed. Made it very close to recipe, except used a small can of tomato paste and then water to make up for the 29 oz can of tomato sauce... used dehydrated onion bits instead of a real one... more garlic because we have a Garlic Obsession... one can of kidney beans, one can of black beans... and nixed the hot red chili pepper flakes because of children. But this was very very good and I thank you much for posting it!!!