Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I was looking for a good hot chocolate recipe for a December book club meeting and found this... I can't wait to try it!
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (1 ounce) bittersweet chocolate square
- 1 (1 ounce) white chocolate baking square
- 3⁄4 cup whipped cream
- 6 teaspoons mini chocolate chips
- Combine sugar, cocoa, salt and 1/2 cup milk in medium bowl.
- Beat until smooth.
- Pour into crock pot.
- Add remaining milk and vanilla extract.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours.
- Add cream; cover and cook on LOW for 10 minutes.
- Stir in bittersweet and white chocolates.
- Pour hot chocolate into 6 coffee cups.
- Top each with 2 tablespoons whipped cream and 1 teaspoon chocolate chips.
Pretty tasty. The bittersweet chocolate never fully dissolves for me, but floats on the top and gathers at the bottom, which is sort of frustrating. I definitely don't get six servings from this - closer to three, three and a half (using 6-8 oz mugs, not oversized). Doubling the recipe is easy, though. I recommend it not only because it produces more but because the smaller amount (especially once some mugs have been poured) gets a little too hot in the crockpot. Convenient for parties. Have made a few times and will continue.
Oh wow, this was sooooo delicious. I doubled the recipe for a party (a doubled recipe just fills a crock pot) and was wishing halfway through the party that I had quadrupled it and done two crocks full! We had peppermint schnapps and Kahlua Peppermint Mocha on hand for those who wanted to add it, and I have to say that the peppermint mocha in it was FANTASTIC!!! My guests have already extracted promises of more of this at future parties!
This is definitely a bit more work than I'm used to, but the end result was well worth it ~ AN ABSOLUTELY GREAT TASTING DRINK & a very worthy fix for us chocoholics! I particularly enjoyed the wonderful combination of chocolates! Thanks for a great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of my Cocoa theme in the Comfort Cafe]