Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
An original fusion experiment for making tofu meatballs (tofalls).
- 1 (500 g) package firm tofu (drained)
- 1 medium carrot (sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup scallion (coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (dried bread crumbs)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered thyme
Crockpot Tomato Sauce
- 4 large tomatoes (halved and quartered)
- 1⁄2 large onion (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- grated parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
- herb bread
- Night before or early in the day:.
- Begin by making the tofu meatballs, or as I call them tofalls.
- Place tofu on plate lined with paper towels; completely cover with more paper towels; and heat in microwave for 90 seconds to drain excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, finely grate carrot, scallions, parsley, and basil in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, crumble dried tofu into small pieces and thoroughly combine processed carrot mixture, panko, egg, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and thyme until almost smooth and resembles a raw meatball mixture.
- Form tofu mixture into 1½ inch balls. Place on greased baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes. Remove, flip over, and bake for 10 more minutes. Remove from baking sheet and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- While the tofalls are baking, start the Crockpot Tomato Sauce:.
- Place tomatoes on bottom of crock pot.
- Add onion, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, basil, parsley, soy sauce, sugar, and tomato sauce.
- Cover and cook for 8 – 9 hours total on low.
- Approximately 4 hours prior to serving, stir tomato sauce.
- Place cooled tofalls into the tomato sauce by forming one layer on the bottom of the crock pot and then topping with a second layer.
- Cover and continue cooking on low for the remaining four hours.
- Approximately 30 minutes prior to serving, prepare spaghetti according to directions; strain pasta and return to pot prepared in; ladle desired amount of crock pot tomato sauce on to pasta; and toss thoroughly, completely coating the spaghetti.
- Plate pasta on individual serving dishes and top with desired number of Crock pot Tomato Sauce Tofalls. Drizzle with a little extra crock pot tomato sauce; garnish with freshly snipped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese; and serve with herb bread to complete the meal.