Recipe by BeachGirl
A very delicious, yet simple comfort food that everyone enjoys. Many, many ago, we were invited for dinner. As the hostess served this from the crock pot, I kicked my "meat and potatoes" DH under the table, knowing he was wondering "What is that???" He licked his plate clean, commented how good it was, and went back for seconds...and thirds. The 4 of us ate the entire 6 servings! On cold winter evenings, DH still requests this often. POTLUCK SUGGESTION: When "hash" is done and still very hot, spread in 9x13-inch casserole dish, top with spring onions and cheese; cover with foil or lid. Cheese will be melted by the time you arrive. You'll return with an empty dish!
Top Review by Tebo
This was good. I took it to a potluck and it was well received generally. I found it a bit too "smoothy greasy!!!" I really was not greasy as I used extea lean ground beef but it still had a texture that was not really to my taste. But it is good and easy to do.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or 2 lbs venison
- 2 medium onions, diced (1-1/2 cups)
- 2 green bell peppers (1-1/2 cups) or 2 red bell peppers, diced (1-1/2 cups)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or grated (3/4 cup) (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced spring onion (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef, breaking meat into small pieces, cooking until pink disappears from meat.
- Pour into colander and drain.
- Place cooked meat and all other ingredients into crock pot and stir thoroughly.
- Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 6-8 hours.
- ***If you can still see individual grains of rice, keep cooking it until they disappear.
- Sprinkle cheese and spring onions over each serving, if desired.