1/1 Photo of Crock Pot Tagine of Squash and Chickpeas With Mushrooms
8 hrs 15 mins
You will love this unusual combination of flavorings in this dish, which meld beautifully. The taste of the cinnamon and ginger really come through, and the bittersweet combination of lemon and honey, with a sprinkling of currants adds a perfect finish. Serve this over whole grain couscous to complete the Middle Eastern flavors and provide vegetarians with a complete protein. Add a leafy green vegetable, such as spinach or Swiss chard, to complete the meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
USE 3 1/2 TO 6 QUARTS SLOW COOKER
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, mined
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot (see tip)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick, piece (2 inches)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and halved
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, including juice, coarsely chopped 796 mL
- 3 cups butternut squash (2 inch) or 3 cups pumpkin, peeled, cubed (2 inch)
- 2 cups cooked dried garbanzo beans or 2 cups canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup currants (optional)
- 1In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onion and carrots and cook, stirring, until carrots are softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, gingerroot, turmeric, salt, peppercorns and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and toss until coated. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- 2Add squash and chickpeas and stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until vegetables are tender.
- 3In a small bowl, combine honey and lemon juice. Add to slow cooker and stir well. To serve, sprinkle with currants, if using. Serves 6.
- 4TIP: I prefer a strong gingery flavor in this dish. If you’re ginger-averse, reduce the amount.
- 5175 Essential Slow Cooker Classics J. Finlayson.
Browse Our Top Equipment Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Equipment Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Tagine of Squash and Chickpeas With Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.5
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 43.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 16.2 g