Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
An easy slow cooker/crock-pot recipe for classic swiss steak, that results in tender flavorful meat in a delectable tomato based gravy. Serve over creamy homemade mashed potatoes--yum!! (Please note: Cook time is for my crockpot. Various crockpots may have different cooking times, so please adjust time as necessary!).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut 3/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dash garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- 1 dash all-purpose seasoning (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 large bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or tomato sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- Cut round steak into serving pieces.
- Season flour with thyme, garlic powder, salt & pepper (and all-purpose seasoning, if using).
- Dredge meat in seasoned flour.
- Place meat in crock pot.
- Top with onion, bell pepper, and celery (and carrot, if using) and cover with diced tomatoes.
- Add wine & dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook on Low 8 to 10 hours. (High 3 to 5 hours). (Please note: Cook time is for my crockpot. Various crockpots may have different cooking times, so please adjust time as necessary!).
- Serve meat and gravy over mashed potatoes. ENJOY!
This was terrific, very flavorful and the meat was so tender. Loved the ease of making this crock pot dish. A+++++++
This dish is easy to assemble, throw it all in the crockpot and go about your day not thinking about it at all unless you happen to be in the house and have to smell that wonderful aroma all day.I followed the recipe with the exception of using a can of stewed tomatoes, a clove of garlic, and a bit more than a dash of worcestershire sauce. I served it with mashed potatoes and it was very tasty indeed. This one goes into the keeper file for sure. Thanks so much for posting.
This was simple to put together and the meat was really tender. The kids ate it once they scraped off all of the vegies!