Recipe by BecR
An easy slow cooker/crock-pot recipe for classic swiss steak, that results in tender flavorful meat in a delectable tomato based gravy. Serve over creamy homemade mashed potatoes--yum!! (Please note: Cook time is for my crockpot. Various crockpots may have different cooking times, so please adjust time as necessary!).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut 3/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dash garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- 1 dash all-purpose seasoning (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 large bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or tomato sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut round steak into serving pieces.
- Season flour with thyme, garlic powder, salt & pepper (and all-purpose seasoning, if using).
- Dredge meat in seasoned flour.
- Place meat in crock pot.
- Top with onion, bell pepper, and celery (and carrot, if using) and cover with diced tomatoes.
- Add wine & dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook on Low 8 to 10 hours. (High 3 to 5 hours). (Please note: Cook time is for my crockpot. Various crockpots may have different cooking times, so please adjust time as necessary!).
- Serve meat and gravy over mashed potatoes. ENJOY!